Arrival in Zagreb by your own transportation, settling in at the hotel (after 14h). Upon arriving in the cosmopolitan Croatian capital, you will have time to take a break and prepare yourself for the experience that awaits you. Soothe your restless spirit today because we have a thrill-packed day in store for you tomorrow! That's why we recommend that you go on the ZagrebTalks (Zagrebacki štikleci) guided walking tour (cca. 2 hours) of the city: "Stiklec" is a word of German origin frequently used in Zagreb which means "interesting story", "vignette" or "anecdote". If you want to learn more about Zagreb through stories of its famous denizens and sketches from everyday life, then this is the perfect tour for you. It will take you back to a time of aristocratic salons, Upper Town fairs, beauty pageants, beer brewing and winemaking, amorous intrigues, cafes and promenades, old beaches and forgotten lovers' lanes... as well as numerous other places. Route: Ban Jelacic Square, Zagreb Cathedral, Tkalcic Street, Radic Street, Stone Gate, Opaticka Street, Basaricek Street, St. Mark's Square, Sts. Cyril and Methodius Street, Catherine's Square, Strossmayer Promenade. Overnight stay.
Leaving the hotel after breakfast in a 4x4 SUV (Mercedes G class or Land Rover Defender) for Fužine/Delnice or the surrounding area of Gorski kotar. Accommodation in a hotel/bed and breakfast and then, after a short break, going on an SUV adventure ride through the Risnjak Nature Park to the source of the Kupa River. This area, which spreads across 10 ha, has been protected since 1963. The source of the Kupa River, just one of the many unsolved mysteries of the karst, is one of the most forceful, lengthiest and deepest river sources in Croatia. The water mass has formed a mesmerising turquoise lake at a height of 321 m above sea level. The upper flow of the Kupa River has been dubbed the Enchanting Butterfly Valley due to the abundance of flora and fauna. On our way back, we will take a turn on the NE side towards the meadows at the base of Mount Risnjak where, if nature allows it, you can catch a glimpse of the beasts of prey or, if you're in the mood, take a daring hike to the summit of Mount Risnjak, which offers a breath-taking view of the green heart of Europe. On your way up you will pass through Via Dinarica and its stunning unspoilt nature. Return to the hotel. Dinner and overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Leaving for a full-day 4x4 photo-safari at the Bukovaca hunting ground, which is located between the towns of Ogulin and Vrbovsko. This is a mountainous hunting ground whose highest peak, Veliki Vrh, rises up to 735 m above sea level. Various species of mountain game inhabit this picturesque region, such as the brown bear, deer, roe deer, wild boar and rabbit, as well as the snipe, quail, mallard, fox, marten, badger... This area of Gorski kotar is also known as the "green heart of Croatia" due to the vast diversity of flora and fauna. This is also the only habitat in this part of Europe of three different beasts of prey - the bear, wolf and lynx. As far as big game is concerned, here you can find the king of the forest - the deer - and its smaller counterpart the roebuck, as well as wild boars. Alert your senses because you're about to be bombarded with images created by nature itself, so if you're lucky, your camera is going to be chock-full of beautiful photos of the scenery and wildlife. The tour also includes a hunter's brunch (traditional local dishes) on a log. Return to the hotel. Dinner and overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Departing for a full-day 4x4 safari at White (Bijele) and Saddle (Samarske) Rocks - a strict reserve, the most diverse phenomena of the karst landscape, which is a paradise for naturalists and hikers as well as the most interesting and attractive routes of the Via Dinarica in Gorski kotar. This reserve, which adheres to the strictest regime of environmental protection, is situated in the central part of Velika Kapela and does not form a single mountain range, but instead consists of smaller and larger scattered ridges. It also includes oddly-shaped limestone with silver fir, spruce and beech forests growing on stone blocks. The highest peak of Saddle Rocks rises up to 1302 m, while the White Rocks are situated to the west and the highest peak rises up to 1335 m. The reserve holds the most diverse karst phenomena as well as flora that includes the edelweiss, the great yellow gentian and watercress, while the protected environment serves as the habitat of bears, weasels, dormice and martens. Here nature has really been given free rein to create the most incredible and amazing rock formations, which it has done in such detail that its "craftsmanship" surpasses anything that has ever been created by humans. You will feel as though you have stepped into nature's vast art studio and you won't really have to stretch your imagination too far to start comparing these formations to familiar shapes, such as cones, towers, turrets, obelisks, barrels, chests, even statues that look as though they have been chiselled by a sculptor. The tour also includes a hunter's brunch (traditional local dishes) on a log. Return to the hotel. Dinner and overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel, followed by check-out and departure for Zagreb. On the way, we will visit the Vrelo (Spring) Cave in Fužine, which was discovered by accident during the construction of the Bajer artificial lake in the 1950s. It is assumed to be between 3.5 and 4 million years old. Although only 300 m long, it is stunning and richly adorned with cave decorations. Our next stop will be the Kamačnik valley, a true masterpiece of nature, which is 1 km long and has a walking trail with wooden galleries and footbridges, followed by a stop at the Orlove Stijene (Eagle's Rocks) viewpoint overlooking the Kupa River valley at a height of 586 m above sea level. The viewpoint is well-tended and the steep cliffs over the Kupa valley offer a majestic view of the Kupa River and the villages in neighbouring Slovenia. Return to Zagreb and transfer to the hotel. We recommend that you visit one of the traditional restaurants, such as Vinodol in the wider centre of the city or one of the popular bistros, such as Lari&Penati, Mali Bar, Bulldog or Otto&Frank. Zagreb's cuisine is a superb combination of the local gastronomy and the finest influences from a long history. Overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel and check-out. If you still have some spare time left, we suggest that you take a stroll through the Botanical Garden, one of the most beautiful green spaces in Zagreb holding one of the most extensive plant collections in Europe. The vegetation, scents and tranquillity make this garden a true oasis in the very centre of Zagreb.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
Accommodation in Zagreb in a 4-star hotel in a classic double room; two nights half-board with a buffet breakfast
Accommodation in Fuzine, Delnice or the surrounding towns in Gorski kotar in a hotel/apartment/3-star room; 3 nights half-board with breakfast and dinner (drinks not included), subject to availability The photo-safari in Gorski kotar package: transportation from the hotel in Zagreb and back, transportation in an SUV (high class 4x4, Mercedes G class or Land Rover Defender) for the duration of the excursion, admission to Risnjak, admission to the Vrelo Cave, admission to Kamacnik, English or German-speaking tour guide/driver, 2 x meals on a log Tourist tax Travel preparations
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
Optional amenities, personal expenses.
We recommend that you buy travel, personal accident and trip cancellation insurance policies.
OPTIONAL SURCHARGES PER PERSON (min 2 persons):
Walking tour of Zagreb (cca. 2 hours): 53.00 €
If you want to travel by plane, we will arrange an on-request booking from your place of residence. Transfers from Zagreb Airport to the hotel and back: available on request
Registrations for more than two persons travelling together are available on request. Please contact us at: email@example.com
Good to know:
- Gorski kotar: Croatia's green oasis with crystal-clear lakes, springs, rivers and the shade of centennial trees will provide you with a holiday experience like no other with busy days and a chance to get a good night's sleep. There is no scarcity of the aromatic fragrances of pine and fir trees in Gorski kotar, while the fresh air in the forest beckons you to go for a walk, horse riding, rafting, cycling, hiking or kayaking. The diversity of the flora and fauna, the breath-taking views, the active holidays in both the summer and the winter, the cultural heritage and tradition, the customs and the nearly forgotten flavours are all excellent reasons to visit this unique area. It is located in western Croatia in the Kvarner region between Lika and the neighbouring country of Slovenia.
- Fuzine: This well-known Croatian tourist destination is located 730 m above sea-level and is only 25 km away from the sea. It provides numerous sports and recreational activities, marked hiking and cycling trails as well as a walking trail around Lake Bajer. Distance from Zagreb: 130 km, from Opatija: 50 km, from Rijeka 40 km.
- Delnice: The town of Delnice is one of the most fascinating areas in Gorski kotar and boasts almost a century of excursion, health and sports tourism tradition. It is only half an hour away from Rijeka and the Kvarner Riviera resort and an hour away from Zagreb by car. It is also the perfect starting point for a visit to the Risnjak National Park.
- Risnjak National Park: The pearly white massif of Risnjak rises formidably over the verdant mountain forests. The stunning views of Kvarner Bay, Istria and the Julian Alps from a height of 1528 m will undoubtedly be seared into the memory of every single visitor. The park is a protected area and is bereft of human activity, here nature is truly allowed to take its course. The area of the Park includes the Snjeznik mountain massif and a natural monument - the source and the upper flow of the Kupa River.
- Interesting fact: Houses in Gorski kotar are traditionally built from wood and stone. Some of the typical characteristics of this region include making plum, pear and apple "rakija", game delicacies and strudels filled with wild berries, while the accordion is the traditional instrument of the region.