After you take this left turn, the path is marked by white-and-red trail marker circles and goes steep uphill all the way to the ridge. Approximately one hour after, you should reach a ridge and a new junction. The left path leads down into Perućica primeval forest and should be ignored, because it is forbidden to enter the forest without a guide. You should take the path on the right, which follows the ridge (south-east direction). From this point, there’s no more white and red signs on trees, but the orientation shouldn’t be difficult as the path is very visible and all time goes along the ridge until you reach the Prijevor pass. At one point, the path comes to the flat part of the ridge and is harder to notice, but looking to the right, should direct you towards the last parts of the ridge where the path is more overgrown by young trees and shrubs.
After approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes you should reach a meadow with the dominant peak of Maglić (2386 m) in the background and, approaching the watchtower, should reach the road and parking spot at Prijevor pass.
Just beneath the parking in it’s westernmost spot, you can refill your water as there is a source of fresh water lasting all year long.
From here, your trail goes towards the south, following the dirt road where some shepherd’s huts can be seen above and later on, below the road. At a few spots, the road is taken away by the rockslides and some 30 minutes away from Prijevor, the road is dividing in two paths. In the end, both paths will get you down to the Suva Jezerina, but the one on the right that goes steeply downhill will get you to the crossing sign where you should turn right, towards north-western direction, toward Suha. From now on, the path follows the natural gorge in between high rocks and later it turn in to a dirt road going downwards all the way to the place where you parked your car. This is reachable in three hours from Suva Jezerina.
Safety informationGoing down to Perućica valley is allowed only with announcement to the officials of National Park Sutjeska and with their guides. This is due to the strict level of protection and nature preservation of Perućica primeval forest.
Tips and hintsAuthor: Dado Delić, Mountain Club Željezničar, Sarajevo, BiH
Getting thereFrom a Tjentiste towards Gacko drive for 6.5 km and turn left once you see a big parking place and old stone abandoned house. Park your car there, since passing through ramp is impossible and start hiking.
ParkingYou can park at a big parking spot with a signs pointing directions of hike.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.