First stage of Via Dinarica Slovenia will take you from Nanos plateau (1240 m) past Predjama caste and beautiful sighting points towards Planina karst field with Planinska cave and ruins of Haasberg castle. You will hike through forests on marked gravel paths visiting different local cultural and natural heritage.
In the second stage, you will hike past Cerknica lake, the largest disappearing lake in Europe. Due to its karstic nature, water fills the entire karst field creating the largest lake in Slovenia, where you can go kayaking or observing 200 different species of birds, that live in this natural park. The trail continues towards Slivnica mountain, also known as the witch mountain and it ends at the high Bloke plateau. Here you can stay in a hostel or at a glamorous campsite next to Volčje lake.
The third stage will take you from Bloke to Sviščaki mountain resort. You can stop and see the Križna cave with more than 20 underground emerald lakes. On the way, you will hike past Snežnik castle, one of the most romantic castles in Slovenia. Its specialty is that it has an original interior equipment.
This is also the beginning of the ascend at the highest mountain in the region - Snežnik. This is the highest non-Alpine mountain in Slovenia and it offers stunning views all the way from the Bay of Trieste, Slovenian Alps, Kvarner area and Adriatic sea. Snežnik area is also protected as a UNESCO world heritage site, for its ancient and primeval beech forests. This is also a home of wildlife, including brown bears, wolfs and lynxes. Special tours, observing brown bears in natural habitat are organized from April to October.
From Snežnik you will descent towards Babno polje, the coldest place in Slovenia, and continue on your hike at Croatian stage of Via Dinarica.
Plan about 7 days of hiking with stops at different natural and cultural heritage sites.
Visit Predjama castle, as it is one of the most famous sights in Slovenia. It is located in a 123-meter high vertical cliff and it is home to numerous myths and legends. One of the most famous ones is the story of Slovenian Robin Hood, a rebellious knight Erazem Predjamski, who lived in the castle centuries ago.
Don't forget to observe and enjoy in everything nature has to offer!
Rest StopBife kod Marta
Koča Mladika na Pečni rebri Mountain Hut
Safety informationHiking trail Via Dinarica is not marked yet, but it follows existing hiking trails (E6, Great Krpan trail...). For most part the trail is on gravel roads and paths, in some places it connects on tarmac road.
Tips and hints
For more information on where to eat, sleep and what to do, visit the web site on Green Karst destination: http://zelenikras.si/en/
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentNormal hiking equipment is sufficient.
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.