The trail starts in the pine forests on the southern slopes of Vran. There are few private properties and holiday houses, and some of them are available for rent or camping nearby. The walk through the forest is nice and pleasant. From Omrcenica, the ascent to Mali Vran starts, which is not long but is a bit steep. After Mali Vran, the trail follows a wide ridge with splendid views on Blidinje and Cvrsnica. The ridge hiking ends on Vran summit and from there descends over steep terrain down to the Mountain Lodge Blidinje on the shore of the lake. The descent is pretty steep and hard on the knees.
There are also alternatives continuing towards Veliki (Great) Vran summit for another 2 hours with descend down to Hajducke Vrleti mountain hotel where great food is served. From Veliki Vran the trail continues even further over less steep terrain. If you opt for alternatives, you have a chance to visit Stecci necropolis in Dugo polje, one of those on UNESCO haritage list.
From Blidinje lake the trail continues across the field and ends in Masna Luka where a Franciscan Monastery is located.
Be aware of the thunder and lightning storms. 112 emeregency number, also for Mountain Rescue Service.
Watch out for deep pits close by the trail!
Tips and hints
Getting thereDrive from Tomislavgrad to Blidinje Nature Park and stop soon after pass at Svinjacha.
ParkingPosible when you turn onto the gravel road.
EquipmentStandard hiking equipemnt.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.