The ridge of Risnjak is spreading in the same direction as the Dinarides. The peak area is recognizable from far away, due to the rocky peaks of Veliki Risnjak and Mali Risnjak, separated by a mountain pass with a mountain hut. On the western side, the ridge of Risnjak is separated from Snježnik by a valley deeply cut into the terrain, with a forest road that leads from Gornje Jelenje towards Gerovo, passing through it. This road is quite useful to hikers, as it provides the shortest access to the peak area of Risnjak. On the eastern side, the slopes of Risnjak descend rather more mildly to Crni Lug.
There are several well maintained hiking trails that lead from Crni Lug to the peak area of Risnjak. All these trails take hikers through forests and cover a substantial elevation difference; however, orientation along these trails is not difficult. The most frequently used trail is the so-called Horvat Trail (Horvatova staza) – named after a mountaineer, botanist and researcher Ivo Horvat. Some 3 to 4 hours of hiking are needed to climb from Crni Lug to Risnjak in summer conditions.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.