On the way from Skorpovac to Baške Oštarije, we will continue following the Premužić Trail (4-5 hours of hiking); however, an interesting option is to take a tour of the marked hiking trails leading through the area of dabri (Došen dabar, Ravni dabar, Crni dabar), by using the markings of the Velebno Hiking Trail. From Skorpovac onwards, the Premužić Trail continues straight for one hour and a half of hiking to the base of the peak of Visibaba, along the terrain with increasingly prominent karst characteristics, but still largely covered in forest. Soon after Skorpovac, at the pass called Skorpovački prijevoj, the Premužić Trail is intersected by a gravel road, with a trail towards Velinac branching from it to the right (50 minutes of hiking). Below Visibaba, to the left, there is a steep trail branching towards Bačić kosa (20 minutes of hiking); from there, we can continue either towards Bačić kuk or towards Visibaba. Continuing along the Premužić Trail, we reach the pass of Dabarska kosa in 20 minutes of hiking, where we also come across a local road. From Dabarska kosa, we can take a marked trail to reach Ravni dabar and the mountain lodge of the same name in half an hour of hiking. If we continue along the Premužić Trail, on the other side of the road, we will get to Baške Oštarije in two hours and a half of hiking.
Baške Oštarije is a mountain settlement located on an important Velebit mountain pass with a road connecting the towns of Gospić and Karlobag. The mountain pass divides the central and the southern area of Velebit. Thanks to its accessibility, a range of interesting sites, Velebno Hotel and two mountain huts, the settlement of Baške Oštarije also serves as an excellent starting point for excursions to the peaks of Dabarski kukovi and to other peaks surrounding the picturesque field of Oštarijsko polje. The most interesting peaks of the area of Oštarije are Kiza, Ljubičko brdo and V. Sadikovac. However, the entire area has so many marked paths and trails with quite diverse levels of difficulty, that it is almost impossible to use all the hiking opportunities that the area provides. The mountain of Velebit is relatively narrow and low in this section; however, that in no way diminishes its attractiveness, since most peaks offer views of both the sea and the region of Lika in the hinterland.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.