At Baške Oštarije, the first markings directing hikers towards Šugarska duliba are located on a building of the former school of Baške Oštarije, near the abandoned Velebno Hotel. The trail ascends to the ridge of Sladovačko brdo, and reaches the meadow of Sladovača. To the left, there is a branch leading to the peak of Veliki Sadikovac. From Sladovača, Velebit Hiking Trail markings steeply descend to the pass of Bukovo razvršje, proceeding along a long steep descent to Kljajina dolina and to a wide path from the direction of Konjsko. The Velebit Hiking Trail route continues further through the forest above Jurkova dolina to Markova paljevina, where the trail turns uphill to the left. In half an hour of hiking, we reach Piskovita kosica, where one needs to pay attention to an intersection. To the right, there is a trail leading to Lukovo Šugarje, and the trail to the left leads to Brušane.
From Piskovita kosica, the trail continues straight downhill for 10 minutes to Šikića jatara. There, we come across a left branch through Ramino korito via Pasji klanac to Ripište. The Velebit Hiking Trail route takes us to the right, along the trail of Milkovića staza to Jurlino sedlo, where there is a trail to the right descending to the sea across Rudelić Rastovci (1 hour and 15 minutes). From Jurlino sedlo, the markings take us further along a mild descent to Jurlini vrtli, and then across the slopes of Jurlin kuk to dry stone walls of the karst valley of Zapeć, and to a well-built old tourist trail leading to Lukovo Šugarje. We take this trail and pass next to the cave of Milkovića peć, soon arriving to an intersection of hiking trails. The tourist trail continues straight towards Lukovo Šugarje (3 hours), and the Velebit Hiking Trail turns left uphill above Bukova draga, and then through Jasenovački doci to the meadows of Ripište, where it connects with a hiking trail branch passing through Ramino korito. From this place, it takes approximately 20 minutes of hiking to the mountain shelter Šugarska duliba. In a wider area of Šugarska duliba, in a fairly limited locality, we come across one of four known habitats of the endemic species Velebit degenia. There is a marked trail leading from the mountain shelter at Šugarska duliba to the peak of Veliki Stolac, and the climb to the peak takes approximately 45 minutes.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.