There are several mountain huts and shelters along the way, most of them have water and if they are closed, there are enough camping spots nearby. It is possible to hike from mountain hut to mountain hut and it is probably also possible to arrange that they're open, but then you need to plan ahead. Something I don't like. I'd rather bring my tent and see what the day brings. If you plan this hike, you can do it in a week. Mind that there are no possibilities to buy food along the way.
Also, it is possible to make this even more challenging if you choose to follow the mountain ridges instead of the main track. This will take more time, is more exposed and physically more demanding. I wasn't always able to stay up on the higher variant due to the weather, but the trails show up on Open Street Maps, so in theory you should be able to follow them. Do not expect a real trail though, often there are no paths at all, but just a line on your GPS.
For stories from the trail, check my blog EVAdinarica Project
The terrain is very exposed, dry and extremely hot during the summer. Water is scarce, in summer the cisterns at the huts might run empty so be informed.
- If mountain hut Brezovac is closed, you don not have acces to the water.
- At Kurtagica Dolac there is no water, the water tank is not connected to the roof yet.
After Troglav there is a mine suspected area. It is well marked, but you need to be careful here.
савети, назнаке и линкови
Stories on my blog: EVAdinarica Project
Kako stići do tamo?
If you're taking the bus, ask the driver specifically if you have to transfer somewhere.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Waterfilter, rope, plastic bottle (or whatever you can use to get water out of a well)
Tent (not all huts are open)
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Feste, bequeme und wasserdichte Bergschuhe oder Zustiegsschuhe
- Kleidung im Mehrschicht-Prinzip mit Feuchtigkeitstransport
- Rucksack (mit Regenhülle)
- Sonnen-, Regen- und Windschutz (Hut, Sonnencreme, wasser- und winddichte Jacke und Hose)
- Ausreichend Proviant und Trinkwasser
- Erste-Hilfe-Set mit Blasenpflaster
- Biwaksack/Survival Bag
- Navigationsgerät/Karte und Kompass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Ggf. Kletterhelm
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.